led by chair defazio, house democrats approve transformational infrastructure bill to rebuild america
h.r. 2, the moving forward act, creates millions of jobs by investing in our nation’s roads, bridges, transit, rail, schools, housing, broadband, clean energy future, and more
washington, d.c. – today, the u.s. house of representatives voted 233-188 to pass h.r. 2, the moving forward act, comprehensive legislation that invests more than $1.5 trillion in our nation’s roads, bridges, transit, rail, ports and harbors, schools, housing, broadband, drinking and wastewater systems, postal service, clean energy sector, health care infrastructure, and so much more. the transformational bill moves our country away from decades-old transportation planning models and programs, and is key to creating millions of american jobs, combatting the climate crisis, and addressing long-standing disparities in communities around the country.
“passage of this bold, forward-thinking infrastructure bill is proof that finally, there is a majority of us in congress who won’t accept the status quo and instead are willing to fight for a new vision that invests in our communities, addresses the climate crisis, and creates better opportunities for all. and we get there by putting millions of people to work in jobs that cannot be exported, while harnessing american-made materials, ingenuity, and innovation,” said chair of the house committee on transportation and infrastructure peter defazio. “with the moving forward act, we make it clear that our infrastructure does not have to be a product of the past, with crumbling roads and bridges, unreliable transit and rail networks, inequitable outcomes, and little regard to our changing climate and our changing economy. i challenge my senate colleagues to join the house in thinking big and being bold on long-overdue investments not only in our infrastructure, but also in the communities and the people we all represent.”
h.r. 2 delivers on the election pledge for the people to create the infrastructure of the future and will deliver far-reaching, forward-thinking progress for communities across the country:
- rebuilds our highways, bridges, transit, and rail by investing nearly $500 billion to improve safety, reduce gridlock and put the u.s. on a path toward zero emissions from the transportation sector, all while protecting american jobs with strong buy america provisions and labor protections.
- invests in our children’s futures by helping safely reopen and rebuild schools with a $130 billion investment in school infrastructure targeted at high-poverty schools that do not meet health and safety standards, while also creating 2 million jobs. democrats are also investing billions in upgrading child care facilities to ensure compliance with current and future public health directives.
- modernizes our energy infrastructure for a clean energy future by investing more than $70 billion to transform our electric grid, promote new renewable energy infrastructure and strengthen existing infrastructure, help develop an electric vehicle charging network, and support energy efficiency and climate resilience.
- invests boldly in affordable housing by directing over $100 billion to reduce housing inequality, create jobs, stimulate the economy, improve living conditions and increase environmental sustainability and climate resilience.
- expands affordable high-speed internet to underserved communities with a $100 billion investment that promotes competition, connects children to remote learning, closes broadband adoption and digital skills gaps and improves affordability.
- upgrades hospitals and health care infrastructure by investing $30 billion to increase capacity and strengthen care, help community health centers respond to covid-19 and future public health emergencies, improve clinical laboratory infrastructure, support the indian health service’s infrastructure, and increase capacity for community-based care.
- ensures all communities have clean water by investing tens of billions to remove dangerous contaminants from our drinking water and invests in new, safe wastewater infrastructure.
- delivers a 21st century postal service by modernizing infrastructure and pursuing a zero-emissions postal fleet.
- promotes investments in our communities through a revitalized build america bonds program, expansions of private activity bonds, and significant enhancements to the new markets tax credit and the rehabilitation tax credit.
a fact sheet on h.r. 2, the moving forward act, is available here.
video of chair defazio speaking on the floor about the moving forward act is here.
For more information on the T&I Committee’s surface transportation bill, which is the centerpiece of H.R. 2, click here.
next article previous article